Why Laparoscopic Surgery?
Laparoscopic surgery offers the following advantages compared to traditional open operations.
- Less postoperative pain and disability- Because of the very small size of the incision
- Less blood loss – because of small incision and microsurgery
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery period
Laparoscopy is used in the following situations:
To make a diagnosis - by looking inside the pelvis. This is known as diagnostic laparoscopy.
- Infertility evaluation and management
- Diagnosis and confirmation of Ectopic pregnancy
- Diagnosis and staging of Endometriosis
- Evaluation of chronic pelvic pain
- Evaluation of various kind of Ovarian cysts
As a treatment – this is known as an operative laparoscopy and include procedures such as:
- PCOS treatment
- Removal of an Ovarian cyst
- Treatment of an Ectopic pregnancy
- Fibroid management with Myomectomy and if necessary, Hysterectomy
- Dealing with Tubal pathology like Hydrosalpinx
- Removal of one or both ovaries or division of scar tissue (Adhesiolysis)
- Treatment of severe endometriosis
- Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy