Laparoscopy Surgery is the visualization and treatment of pathology via tiny minimal openings using sophisticated medical grade cameras, telescopes and surgical instruments. It has tremendous advantages compared to the old method of open surgery. Most of the patients need to stay for only 24hrs usually.
Why Laparoscopic Surgery?
Laparoscopic surgery offers the following advantages compared to traditional open operations.
- Less postoperative pain and disability- Because of the very small size of the incision
- Less blood loss – because of small incision and microsurgery
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery period
Laparoscopy is used in the following situations:
To make a diagnosis - by looking inside the pelvis. This is known as diagnostic laparoscopy.
- Infertility evaluation and management
- Diagnosis and confirmation of Ectopic pregnancy
- Diagnosis and staging of Endometriosis
- Evaluation of chronic pelvic pain
- Evaluation of various kind of Ovarian cysts
As a treatment – this is known as an operative laparoscopy and include procedures such as:
- PCOS treatment
- Removal of an Ovarian cyst
- Treatment of an Ectopic pregnancy
- Fibroid management with Myomectomy and if necessary, Hysterectomy
- Dealing with Tubal pathology like Hydrosalpinx
- Removal of one or both ovaries or division of scar tissue (Adhesiolysis)
- Treatment of severe endometriosis
- Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy